By making Planned Giving part of your estate plan, you will help Rockbridge Conservation secure the future of the Rockbridge area.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if your legacy to the Rockbridge area was the continued promotion of stewardship and sustainable use of our natural and cultural resources?
By making a planned gift to Rockbridge Conservation, your impact can be felt for generations to come. You will help us protect and enhance the quality of life in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Buena Vista and the surrounding area through our programs of education, advocacy and action.
What is Planned Giving?
There are a number of ways to make a planned gift to Rockbridge Conservation that can meet your unique desires and requirements exactly. At the same time these options operate within a framework that Rockbridge Conservation can administer efficiently for you, your family and your financial/legal advisors.
What are the Planned Giving options?
- Simple Bequest: by including Rockbridge Conservation in your will you may be in a position to make a much larger gift than you would consider in your lifetime. You can name Rockbridge Conservation in your will or living trust to receive a specific bequest, either a sum certain or a percentage share. Your gift will ensure that Rockbridge Conservation efforts on behalf of the area you love and respect will continue on into the future.
- Designated Beneficiary: you can designate Rockbridge Conservation as a beneficiary at death of any retirement account, life insurance or bank account. Typically this can be accomplished by requesting a Designation of Beneficiary form from your provider or bank. Designation forms allow you to name more than one beneficiary and in varying percentages providing flexibility in your planning. And, you can adjust the form at any time as your estate plan changes.
- Retained Life Estate: A retained life estate is a mechanism recognized by the IRS which allows you to donate property, typically land, while you retain the right to the use and enjoyment of that land, be it a farm, second home or raw land. At the end of the life estate (and it can be a joint life estate) the property vests with Rockbridge Conservation which can use it, if appropriate, or sell it to generate capital to be used for general purposes or as you may direct.
- Contingent Bequest: You can direct that if some or all of your named beneficiaries have predeceased you then Rockbridge Conservation would receive all or a portion of that bequest.
- Restricted Bequest: Bequests may be restricted to a specific purpose. For instance, Rockbridge Conservation maintains separate accounts for endowment, operating funds, and restricted funds. A bequest could be restricted to one or more of those accounts.
You can rest assured that no matter which option you choose, your Planned Gift will help Rockbridge Conservation secure the future of the Rockbridge area we love so much. Our focus will always be on doing what is best for you and all parties concerned.
In considering any of the options above, you should consult with your attorney about the best option for you. Rockbridge Conservation cannot provide tax or legal advice.
Moving ahead with planned giving.
If you would like to make a planned gift and want to discuss it first or if you want to learn more about Planned Giving options, please contact us. Of course we will keep everything in strictest confidence. If you contact us, our Executive Director will be happy to speak with you and your advisor, or direct you to an appropriate resource.
Barbara Walsh, Executive Director
email@example.com or 540-463-2330
As stated before, in considering any of the Planned Giving options described in these pages, you should consult with your attorney about the best option for you. Rockbridge Conservation cannot provide tax or legal advice.
Below are samples of language that can be included in your Will or Trust document:
I give, devise and bequeath the sum of ($____ ) Dollars to the Rockbridge Area Conservation Council, Lexington, VA 24450 to be used for its general purposes.
I give, devise and bequeath a share equal to ( __%) Percent of the rest and residue of my estate to the Rockbridge Area Conservation Council, Lexington, VA 24450 to be used for its general purposes.
If any of the named beneficiaries fails to survive me then I give, devise and bequeath his or her share to the Rockbridge Area Conservation Council, Lexington, VA 24450 to be use for its general purposes.