The Land Conservation committee (LCC) covers a wide variety of local and regional land use and development issues. Members volunteer to monitor the activities of the Planning Commissions and other governmental bodies that deal with such issues. RACC does not hold land conservation easements but helps those interested in land protection with contacts, information and advice. Current projects include:
- a developing a new conservation project seeking enhanced awareness of and protection for a critical wildlife corridor in between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.
- Download this brochure
- VCC and RACC have secured a Special Project Area status for this area and Purgatory Mtn. with the Virginia Outdoors Foundation. This designation will help promote the acquisition of conservation easements in the corridor. For more information see https://www.vof.org/2013/07/30/vof-designates-new-special-project-area-in-rockbridge-botetourt/
- This project is back in the news with higher towers.
- More information at the
Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance Conservation Hub
- —- 2016 and older content below ——–
- Virginia public comment period ended June 6.
- More information about the project application can be found at Virginians for Responsible Energy website including
review documents for public comments
. . .
- RACC Wind Statement April 2016
- Apex Energy plans to construct 25 Turbines on the south end of North Mtn just over the Rockbridge County line.
- Proposed turbines are 550 ft tall
- Will be visible from Rockbridge locales. Visibility Map or Southern Rockbridge
- Given the go-ahead by the Botetourt Board of Supervisors
New group forms consisting of citizens from surrounding counties:
See Virginians for Responsible Energy website
- RACC participation in development of the plan